SBK interface and 'liquidity'

Hi, Can anyone help out with an explanation of the meaning of the little numbers (representing money amounts eg. euros / pounds) under the boxes with odds in them on the SBK Smarkets interface?

The chat advisers say they are liquidity indicators, specifically they represent the amount of money that is ‘available to be bet against’, but this is not correct in my experience, as when trying to place bets using the odds in any of the boxes to the right of the green box, such bets never (in my experience ) get matched. Only the odds in the green box gets matched in my experience, and that is usually immediately.

For example, sometimes a grey box on the blue lay side (in one of the boxes to the right of both the green box and the blue box) will have say 10/1 in it, with 100 euros under it (supposedly the ‘amount available to be bet against’), but I can place a bet for 50 at 10/1 after clicking that grey box and it never gets matched. Whereas if I place 100 euros bet at 8/1, which is the odds in the green box, it does always get matched in my experience, and thus seems to represent real ‘money available to be bet against’.

Cheers.

Hi Dale. It sounds like you’re in the Smarkets exchange not SBK but I can confirm our live chat agent has given you the correct information. It sounds like you may be a bit confused about the display.

The green box is the best available price to back and the blue box is the best available price to lay. Anything to the left of the green box are the next best available prices to back and anything to the right of the blue box are the next best available prices to lay. You won’t be able to back a selection immediately at a higher price than is shown in the green box and you won’t be able to lay a selection immediately at a lower price than is shown in the blue box.

I hope this helps clear things up but if not please just let us know.

1 Like

What you have just said does not appear to be what the agent said. Perhaps I had confused him/her previously to some extent, but this is part of the chat…

You (#51)
I really dont understand what the usefullness of the figures under the grey boxes is

You (#52)
What do I learn from reading those numbers?

You (#53)
You say they are amounts, in the market, but not ‘in the market’ in the sense that my bet will be matched!

Support (#54)
It’s a guideline of the amount of money available in that market, basically how much you can bet on that market for it to be easily matched.

What I understand from your repsonse Dave, is that the odds in the grey boxes will NEVER be matched at the exact instant of placing a back bet , and it is in fact the odds in the green box that will only ever be matched at that instant, except in the circumstance where odds get laid but haven’t appeared in the green box for some reason, and in that case one’s back bet will automatically be upgraded to the best availble odds as per the best price execution function. Is that all correct?

No that’s not exactly correct. The amounts in the grey boxes are in the market and available to be matched but they’re not the best prices. Anything to the left of the green box are the next best prices available to back, so if you wanted to bet more than was available at the best price (in the green box) you could still immediately match at those lower prices. The same goes for laying and the prices to the right of the blue box.

You cannot, however, immediately back at any price to the right of the green box or immediately lay at any price to the left of the blue box.

1 Like

OK the agent perhaps thought I was talking about laying and betting. I was only asking about betting. Got it . Thanks.